What are the top 10 proteins for weight loss and healthy eating? Dr. Azam and our health experts are sharing their insight.
Protein is the foundation for any healthy diet. Foods that are high in protein help you stay full longer, and they promote energy and muscle growth. In addition, proteins are full of different amino acids that are the building blocks for muscle and nerve tissues. Protein can also boost your metabolism, allowing you to see better results in your weight loss journey.
Where You Can Get More Protein
Many people look to meat and fish for their primary sources of protein, and that’s with good reason. Lean meats like chicken and turkey offer up to 38 grams of protein per serving. Alternatively, fish can offer about 40 grams of protein per serving. However, there are many other great sources of protein to round out your diet. In addition, you can still get plenty of protein if you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet. Beans, nuts, and quinoa are all great examples of meatless protein-rich foods.
If you do choose meats as sources of protein, opt for grass-fed, organic options. These will have a better nutritional profile than their grain-fed counterparts, including higher amounts of omega-3 fatty acids. Wild caught fish is also a better choice than farmed, as it is more sustainable and often more flavorful and nutritious.
Top Proteins for Weight Loss
- Kale/Dark Leafy Greens –9 grams of protein per serving
- Eggs – 6 grams of protein per serving
- Nuts – 6 grams of protein per serving
- Quinoa – 14 grams of protein per serving
- Nonfat Greek Yogurt – 17 grams of protein per serving
- Black beans – 22 grams of protein per serving
- Lean Turkey – 29 grams of protein per serving
- Tempeh – 31 grams of protein per serving
- Lean Chicken – 38 grams of protein per serving
- Fish – 40 grams of protein per serving
WildBerryMD can help you choose the best foods for your dietary needs and weight loss goals. Call us today at (520) 762-1557 to schedule your free weight loss consultation with us.